What should I do if I think my child has SEN?

If you think that your child may have an unidentified special educational need, the first step is to approach their class teacher for a discussion. Then if you are still concern please book an appointment to speak to Miss Fenn (SENCO) or Mrs Cornall (Additional Needs Manager).



How will the curriculum be matched to meet my child’s needs?


We have a fully inclusive ethos which determines that all pupils will be able to access the curriculum at a level appropriate for their individual needs. Class teachers do weekly planning which includes detailed differentiation to cater for all pupils in their classes. The class provision map identifies which children require specific interventions to help accelerate their progress. A few children that have needs which are more complex will have an Individual Education Plan. The plan will allow us to implement specific targets that will support them to make good progress.

How will I know how my child is doing?

We hold two parent consultation evenings a year to discuss your child’s progress. You also receive a report in the final time summarising your child’s progress. If your child is on the special educational needs register, you will be invited to attend three further meetings per year with Miss Fenn or Mrs Cornall. If you have concerns at any other time, you are encouraged to contact the school and make an appointment to see your child’s class teacher. We will ask for an appointment to see you if we are concerned about your child’s development.

How will you help me support my child’s learning?

Throughout the year we hold parent workshops designed to give you the strategies to support your child at home. If your child receives support from outside agencies, there will often be reports which include strategies that can be used in school as well as at home. Homework is set regularly and this is an ideal opportunity for you to support your child with their learning. All children should read  at home on a daily basis with an adult so this is highly encouraged. Parents of pupils with an Individual Provision Plan can refer to these for specific targets.

What support will there be to support my child’s overall well-being?

As a school we are committed to supporting the well-being of all children. Children’s well-being is a standard item on our Staff meeting agenda when class teachers and LSAs are able to raise any concerns that they have about individual pupils. If it is decided that a pupil would benefit from additional support then Miss Fenn or Mrs Cornall organise this. This can include time with our School Counsellor or music therapist.

What specialist services or expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

All schools have access to speech and language therapy, and therapists provide direct therapy two terms a year.  Specially trained teaching assistants also provide individual sessions with pupils as guided by the therapist.  We have access to specialist teaching services for Autism, social and emotional support and cognition and learning who all regularly visit to support individual pupils.  Through referral we also have access to occupational therapists, school nurses and pediatricians.

What training have staff supporting pupils with SEND had or received?

There is a full audit of training needs each year from which evolves a programme of training that ensures that all staff are equipped with the skills needed to meet the needs of all learners.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom?

Our inclusive ethos sets high expectations for all pupils to access a full curriculum, catering for their individual needs and providing support necessary for this.  We have an extensive programme of after school clubs designed to meet the interests of all pupils. These are available all year round.

How accessible is the school environment?

All school premises are fully accessible and the classroom learning environment is equipped to enable all learners to access the curriculum.

How will the school support my child in starting school and moving on?

Before your child starts schools the class teachers visit the relevant pre-schools to meet the children and gain information about their needs. Following this, parents are invited to a new entrant’s information sharing meeting when they will meet the key staff that will be involved with their children. Additionally, home visits are held as another opportunity for parents to share information with their child’s class teacher to be. All children will have the opportunity to meet their new class teachers as they move through the school. Some children, that struggle to cope with changes, will have a full transition plan which is shared in detail with parents.  When children transfer to secondary education, the special educational needs co-ordinators meet with key staff from the schools involved to share information. Once again, additional transition plans are made for pupils that find this change hard to cope with.

How are the schools resources allocated and matched to pupil‘s special educational needs?

All classrooms are equipped with the resources that are needed to ensure that the specific requirements of pupils with a special educational need are met.

How are decisions made about how much support my child will receive?

All class teachers produce a provision map each term which details the support needed for individual pupils to make progress. They are fully supported in this process by the SENCO and other senior leaders. So that this support is fully implemented, a time table is produced for the support staff to follow. All interventions are tracked on a daily basis so that they can be adjusted as soon as the need arises.

How will I be involved in discussions about planning for my child’s education?

You will have the opportunity to share in the planning for your child’s special educational needs provision at the three parent meetings held annually.  For children that have an Education and Health Care Plan, there will be additional review meetings.

Who can parents contact for further information?

For further information in relation to your child’s special educational need, you should contact either your class teacher or Miss Fenn. If you require additional support you may contact Ms Nockolds who is our SEN Governor.

You can find more information on our policies for SEND here.