Through PE and Sport our children learn to develop the important qualities of discipline, resilience, communication, team work and ambition, leading to improved concentration, attitude and academic achievement.
Children will have opportunities to explore the areas of net and wall, striking and fielding, invasion games, Outdoor Adventurous Activities (OAA)/Swimming, Dance and Gymnastics. We take the children to Faversham Gym Club for our gymnastics lessons.
We do not have a field on our school grounds so we use the field and netball courts at our local secondary school for the majority of our PE lessons.
During KS1 children will be taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities.
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
During KS2 children will be taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination.
- play competitive games and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance.
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns.
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
We are a Gold Sports Mark Award School, this reflects the emphasis we put on high quality PE teaching and our children’s access to competitions and sporting events.
We also have a variety of extra-curricular sports clubs including golf, tag-rugby, football, basketball, netball, handball and cross country running. You can read all about our clubs here.