During KS1 children will be taught to:
- Use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes.
- Play tuned and unturned instruments musically
- Listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high quality live and recorded music.
- Experiment with, create , select and combine sounds using inter-related dimensions of music.
This will be done through weekly singing assemblies, music lessons taught in class and daily listening of music.
During KS2 children will be taught to:
- Play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression.
- Improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using inter-related dimensions of music.
- Listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- Use and understand staff and musical notation
- Appreciate and understand a wide range of high quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- Develop an understanding of the history of music.
This will be done through weekly singing assemblies, music lessons taught in class, and through the daily listening of music.
In Year 1 all children participate in weekly violin lessons. This encourages a love of music tuition and helps to develop the children’s self confidence. From Year 2 onwards the children have the opportunity to choose to play violin, viola, cello or piano. Music lessons can also be provided for wind instruments or percussion if requested.
We encourage the children to perform as regularly as possible because this helps to develop their confidence and self esteem. Each year we hold class assemblies, Harvest, Christmas performances, take part in the choir festival, have a music extravaganza and have an end of year Summer Concert!